Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentines Day

Growing up, my parents always made Valentines Day special. They always gave us something little to say that I love you. They also taught me and my siblings that Valentines Day is more than for romantic love but it was also a time to tell your family and friends how much you love them….so to my family and friends, I LOVE YOU!!
Then of course you reach High School and College and its all about who is going to send you a rose or valentine. I always thought there was too much hype. All my single college friends dreaded this holiday. I know I had a serious relationship, but even if I didn’t it still would have been a fun day to tell people that you love them and how much they mean to you.
I have to admit, having that someone special on Valentines Day is pretty nice. Joel and I took this holiday very low key this year. Normally, Joel goes all out for it, but we just had a wedding so we are broke and we had corps activities yesterday. We celebrated by going out to dinner the day before. We had incredible Indian food. If you are in Rockland and want to try some great Indian food go to Natraz in Nyack; a little costly for the amount that you get, but it was worth it.
We actually spent our Valentines Day dinner at the training school with Joel’s mom and dad. What a tasty meal…blah! But we had great company and that’s what it’s all about. We then went back to the Ashcraft’s house before songsters and got to spend time with Joel’s cousin Jenny, Armida, and Matt. That was fun to catch up and just talk.
Songsters was interesting. Lorinda and I are too chatty so we always get in trouble. Kathy doesn’t help the situation either. :-) Loreita gave me a really sweet valentine and it was addressed to her big sis!! OH I just love them all!!!! Joel played with Lorissa and Peter in the gym as usual and tired them out.
The greatest valentine’s gift of all was a great report from Joel’s doctor. Trying not to get into too much detail because things are looking better, but his lymph nodes are diminishing greatly and hopes of good health in the end are not that far fetched. As I was sitting with him in the doctor’s office thanking God for being so good to us, I was thinking about all the people who are sharing their Valentines Day with a loved one who is sick or not doing well. I also think of the person who is not able to share their day with their loved one at all because of a recent loss or because of being away (business, military, etc.) I have many things to count my blessings for.

Me and My Valentine:

2 comments:

Jim Knaggs said...

You make cupid proud!

Kathleen said...

Colonel Knaggs,
So nice to hear from you. Thanks for reading my ramblings. :-)
I'm sad to hear the news that you and your wife are leaving us. You and your family will be in my prayers as you prepare for this move. You will be missed GREATLY by me and my family. We appreciate all that you and your wife do.
I read your blog regularly and love it, but I'm usually too shy to comment. ;-)
(I hope you get to read this)
God bless.
K