Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I'm too flexible....ha!

I always thought that physical therapy was for old people who are just falling apart or for those who have had serious accidents and traumas to their body. Apparently not. Tonight I went to my first physical therapy session. It was humbling to say the least. I’m 22 and have been prescribed by my doctor to go to 2-3 sessions a week for one month for my shoulders.
For 2 years I’ve been struggling with extreme shoulder pain. Ironically it did not occur from an accident or trauma it just kind of developed. For a month I thought it was a bad sprain, I was wrong. This pain has taken over both my shoulders and has been inconvenient and debilitating. After MRIs, X-rays, and cortisone shots all I got as a response was that I’ve had rotator cuff tears in both shoulders, and from what they don’t know. The results from my first session…I’m too flexible. That’s right, my problem is that I’m too flexible and my cuff is just rolling around and pinching everything...GROSS. I need more strength in my shoulders and boy did they try to accomplish all that in one night. I’m ok now and preparing for this next month of PT ahead of me, but apparently in a day or two I should be decently sore. Here’s to humbling experiences...

9 comments:

Amy said...

Ugh the same thing happened to me in highschool but not both shoulders and PT is not so much fun. Sorry to hear about all the pain and tests. Hope that this can work for you and get you feeling better.

Larry said...

We should make the PT a family affair. My shoulder really stiffened up on me tonight. I also did something to my knee. It just locked up while I was playing basketball.

I hope you feel better. As for me, I am just falling apart.

I love you!!!! (and that husband of your's)

JR said...

Kathleen, welcome to being old!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you have to go to PT. I've never been myself, but it doesn't sound like much fun, kinda like mandatory gym class all over again! Good Luck =) Your going to be super buff when it's all over!

Re09 said...

hey sis...i totally need helo with this blogger. i dont know how to put up a pic or anything. lol

Re09 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andi-bo-bandi said...

I went to PT for a month back in December for my back. I LOVED it! Every time I got a nice massage and heat pads. The exercises sucked, but it was worth it. It made me feel so old though, but I feel better now that I know you're going! So thanks!

And I'm so sorry about your apartment. Chrissy told me today. Kevin and I are praying for you. It's a good way to get out of your lease at least if you hated the place!

Allison Ward said...

Hey Kathleen! I didn't know you have a blog! How exciting!

Allison Ward said...

Are you and joel going to the vocal convocation at ladore this weekend? If you are.. I'll see you there!!!