Thursday, June 08, 2006

books can be enjoyable?

(Here it goes Allison…)
I've always been forced to read books for school, so much so that even during the summer or vacation picking up a book was just insane. Why would I torture myself...it was like school work again! Once I went to college I was required to read roughly 2 books and various textbook chapters in a week. Something I am totally incapable of. But in college you have no choice but to rise to the occasion. So I did, but not happily. The only time I enjoyed reading for class was in one of my elective classes, Children's Literature. :-) After I graduated college, I started to miss the whole learning experience. I wanted to pick up books that I thought I would just enjoy reading and maybe if I could get that far, I may pick up a book someday that could further my education. I was getting sick of reading what smart guys had to say.

So, I'm proud to say that on the right column of my blog, I have removed three books from my reading list in the last week. I actually read them. I finished my Nicholas Sparks book “Nights in Rodanthe” (one of my favorite authors, what a romantic). Then I read two Mitch Albom books, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven"(my favorite of the two) & "Tuesdays with Morrie." Both good books about life’s lessons taught to us in interesting ways and from different perspectives. When I told people I was reading these books (especially Tuesdays with Morrie), I came to find out that I must have been the only one on earth who had not yet read it, at least that's how it seemed. Anyway, I never thought I would enjoy reading, but I was wrong. I guess it’s never too late to try to enjoy something or give something a second chance.

I've now changed my right column to Books I’m Attempting to Read and Books I’ve Recently Finished (maybe it will push me to read more since people are noticing I'm stuck on the same books all the time....Jonathan!)
;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I can't wait until the end of June comes so I can pick up a good book instead of a textbook about Literacy!! I agree with you that Nicholas Sparks books are amazing - he is a great author. If you are ever looking for another amazing author - Jodi Picoult - you can't put these books down! She writes about very difficult moral issues - but they keep you interested the entire length of the book. Hope you are doing well - I have been busy with classes and I have two interviews next week for jobs for next school year. We will have to be in touch soon :)

Allison Ward said...

I'm telling you Donald Miller is the MAN! lol You should read some of his books! Nice post :)

Larry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Larry said...

Allison speaks well. Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz" is a great book. I am just starting his book "Searching for God knows What"

I love Brian McLaren too. REading was a hard habit to get into, but now that I have, I am challenged by what I read. At least, my horizons are broadened.