Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Search is on!!


Since my beloved Dog Cosmo went to doggie heaven the end of June, the debate has been about how long to wait before you get another dog. How long is the grieving process? Is there a dog code? Is this like how long do you have to wait to date again after a break up? (good thing I don't have to worry there)
Putting my dog down was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. He was getting old and losing weight rapidly on top of other on going medical issues. We had to take care of him in the most humane way possible, even though it meant losing him. My parents and Joel stayed in the room with Cosmo till the bitter end. I cried for days after that.
Cosmo was my first dog. We bought him when I was a freshman in High School. We took him home from the breeder on Valentine's Day 1998. My mom, brother, and I all shared him. We shared the love, the responsibility, and the vet bills. Even though he was an expensive little guy he was part of our family and anyone who has lost a dog knows that when you lose a pet it leaves a big hole in your heart.

It's been about two months since then and my husband is constantly sending me links to different dogs. My family is pretty allergic to animals so that really limits our choices and we could never get a dog from the pound because they are never hypoallergenic. :-( but the pound does break my heart.

So the doggy search is on! I have no idea if we are ready for a new dog. I keep telling Joel we can look after we go to Ocean City or after another event is suppose to happen. I guess there is no good time, so we might as well bite the bullet. I once had a friend say, referring to another couple, that a dog is not a good idea as a first child. I beg to differ! Bring on the pooch!

I made the count down as of four days prior to this post because that's really when Joel and I started emailing some sites and people about their dogs. I'm also secretly looking for a dog for my parents as they miss Cosmo so much and are not keen at this point about another dog. But I know I can win them over with some cute little guy!

So we shall see...We'll keep you posted.

PitaPata Dog tickers

No comments: